- Remember, remember the Fifth of November,
- The Gunpowder Treason and Plot,
- I know of no reason
- Why Gunpowder Treason
- Should ever be forgot.
- Guy Fawkes, Guy Fawkes, t'was his intent
- To blow up King and Parliament.
- Three-score barrels of powder below
- To prove old England's overthrow;
- By God's providence he was catch'd
- With a dark lantern and burning match.
- Holloa boys, holloa boys, let the bells ring.
- Holloa boys, holloa boys, God save the King!
Today is Guy Fawkes Day. Tonight is Bonfire Night. I'm pretty sure I'm the only person I know who gets excited on this day. In the United Kingdom, its a bit like the Fourth of July. There are fireworks, bonfires, and etc. Its a weird day I know. I'm not entirely sure what they're celebrating. Are they celebrating that Guy Fawkes was stopped from blowing up Parliament and the King James I or are they celebrating that he wanted to blow up Parliament and the Monarchy? Also, they do burn an effigy of the Pope which is charming in an old Anti Catholicism binge and by charming I mean odd...Are they hating Catholics too? I once saw some Disney characters in effigy too so has this translated into Anti US as well? Its a great time nonetheless.
Oh I'm posting a list of shows now to have a list for today because its something different than the politics and celebrity news.
1. Battlestar Galactica...yes you should be watching no matter how corny the name sounds. Not only does the show have great characterization but it has a diverse cast. It has a female president that is way more interesting and authentic than that show Commander in Chief ever had. If you like Lost, Heroes, or etc, please do go buy the DVDs, watch its movie on November 24th, and hop on board next spring for its last season.
2. How I Met Your Mother...it is an absolutely funny show. It has NPH as well...aka Doogie Howser. The DVDs are cheap and utterly enjoyable. It airs on Mondays before Heroes does in case you're wondering. 40 Year Old Virgin, Knocked Up, Superbad, or Freaks and Geeks fans will enjoy this. Its also something you can watch with anyone and everyone relates.
3. Pushing Daisies...This show is so god damned cute you can't help but watch it. Its quirky, fun, and has some great lines. Chi McBride is great, in fact, he has almost a hilarious line every scene. I'll admit it I have a crush on Anna Friel and thus biased but Kristin Chenowith is also really good. Big Fish fans can relish in the art direction of the show. its exceedingly pretty to look at with the style of an inner imagination.
4. Life. Now here is a struggling show now that should be watched. Its enjoyable much in the same vein as House is. Damien Lewis (also a British Actor like House's Hugh Laurie is (he was Winters on Band of Brothers)) is a cop that was sent to jail for over a decade and had his conviction overturned. He sued the city for it and won with a lot of money and got his job back. He didn't quite come back all that normal. He's existential now and slightly crazy. Really good and has a good supporting cast with smoking Sarah Shahi and Adam Arkin.
5. Boston Legal..yes its been on awhile. Yes, its preachy. Yes, the show is still fantastic. Boston Legal has a wonderful cast. Just IMDB it now because I'm not going to type out its cast. It also is a show that frames issues in a profound way. Think of this as the liberal's 24. Don't get me wrong, I really enjoy 24. But it frames conservative issues in a dumb but effective way with torture and terrorism being everywhere. Boston Legal aggressively approaches issues that are really important in creative and fun ways. I'd like to note that it beat out Sopranos in its last season for best actor.
6. Freaks and Geeks...yup I missed this one when it was on so I caught all the dvds and it was well worth it. Its like Superbad as a TV show taking place in early 80s Michigan High School. Its clever and a generally nice show. Plus it has a guest spot of Samaire Armstrong...yeah I know....Go watch it, you'll enjoy it and hate Fox a little more for canceling it.
7. Wow, canceled before its time as well is Firefly. I love the amount of people who have been coerced into watching Firefly either before or after seeing the movie based on the series Serenity. Fox being bastards aired the show out of order and on terrible nights. The dialog is fantastic. Its not the science fiction you think you're getting into. Think more western.
8. If you aren't watching House, why? Still Hugh Laurie is a fantastic actor. Still Gregory House is an amazing character. Its still one of the best shows on tv.
9. Nip/Tuck...I've been called a lot of names for loving this show...most of them true...but besides the point, this show is unique and provocative. Its also well written. Recently, they moved from Miami to LA and its been better for it. Their mockery of Grey's Anatomy makes the show worth it. They've just become consultants on a Grey's Anatomyesque show and it really is spot on. Go watch and enjoy..yes there's sex, plastic surgery, and weird things but hey, you're better off knowing the world is fucked up.
10. Lastly, at least in my ten for tv right now, go buy the West Wing DVDs. Its fictional I know but really, in this political atmosphere, you need to keep a bit of idealism alive. In the West Wing, President Bartlett isn't petty and an idiot. He is engaging and remarkably smart but not flawless. The staff would never leak a secret agent's identity for political gain. Even the Republican at the end of the series, Alan Alda, showed what politicians should be. I miss the show for all its quirks, its high horsed idealism, and its attempt to make politics human. Go buy them so you can see what we want/need from politics. Can you imagine how the SCHIP debate would have gone?