Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Happy New Year's!

So its that time of year again when people start looking back on the past year and also forward to the new one. I don't know about all of you out there in intertube land but one of the most common questions I keep getting is "So, make any resolutions for the New Year?" I would like to take this moment to answer your questions. No. I did not. Nor do I plan to.

Lets be clear on something, there are things that I wouldn't mind accomplishing in 2008. I want to keep working on my home theater that I'm slowly putting together (50" tv, check. hd-dvd player, check. comfy recliners, check. surround sound, hmm, not checked). Like just about every person on Earth, I also wouldn't mind getting into better shape. I also want to find a place where I can grill on a regular basis. Develop a better wine rack. Things like that.

But these are not "resolutions" in any way. I have resolved to do nothing. I don't like the idea of making promises in general so why would I want to make some grand life-altering promise to be accomplished in 12 months time? And yes, for those of you out there questioning me, completing a home theater system is life altering. If you don't believe me, you must have small pathetic little TV's.

Plus why bother making resolutions? Nobody ever does them anyways. Resolving to do something just because the year changed is practically a death sentence for any effort towards personal growth. Think about it, how many New Year's resolutions have you actually stuck to? Liar. You haven't done any of them and you know it.

But this brings us to yet another point in that why do you have to wait til the New Year to try and change something in your life? Sure, the calender year flipped over and we all saw the ball drop but lets be honest. It was a Tuesday. The next day was going to be a Wednesday. So what? We all look for symbols in our lives but this one seems even more artificial and unnecessary than most. My goals for this upcoming year aren't significantly different than my goals from teh previous year. If anything, they are exactly the same. They've just carried over because they are incomplete.

If there is something that you want to accomplish why wait for the New Year to decide to do it? What is the point of that? When 2009 rolls around are you going to sit there and say "well at least I did my resolutions" and then make some new ones? I doubt it. If there are things out there that you want to accomplish then go do them. Don't wait until you can add some artificial, and largely pointless label to it. And no, this isn't one of those "live every day to the fullest" screeds. Hell, if you want to be lazier, I'm cool with that. Lord knows I'm a lazy guy.

Why do you think I'm building a home theater system?

Cheers.

No comments: