Tuesday, January 29, 2008

And now the encore, New Frontier

"The New Frontier of which I speak is not a set of promises — it is a set of challenges. It sums up not what I intend to offer the American people, but what I intend to ask of them." John F. Kennedy July 15th 1960

Yesterday, I got a chill during a political speech. Goose bumps, literally. Its been awhile. Actually ironically, the last time I felt that chill was during the Democratic National Convention in 2004. Barack Obama gave a speech about America that day in 2004 and it was amazing. It put him on the map and just explained to everyone in the country what I already knew. Barack Obama is a rockstar. About yesterday now, Ted Kennedy, Patrick Kennedy, and Caroline Kennedy endorsed Barack Obama and handed over a legacy that maybe too big for anyone but it shows what Obama means to everyone. Ted Kennedy and Barack Obama's speeches gave me chills and it was done at American University which makes it a little more close to home. Kennedy spoke about hope and hit the Clinton Campaign hard on every point. Its going to be a great ride for the next week as we enter the race to Super Tuesday. One of the reasons that I'm a Democrat is JFK and RFK. They're what I admire in the party even if there are flaws. I want to believe again in heroes. If you haven't seen the speeches, then go find them. I close this segment with a JFK quote.
"If by a "Liberal" they mean someone who looks ahead and not behind, someone who welcomes new ideas without rigid reactions, someone who cares about the welfare of the people — their health, their housing, their schools, their jobs, their civil rights, and their civil liberties — someone who believes we can break through the stalemate and suspicions that grip us in our policies abroad, if that is what they mean by a "Liberal," then I'm proud to say I'm a "Liberal." September 14th 1960.

1. Romney and McCain are yelling at each other in Florida calling each other liberals...I think its hilarious. McCain also apparently has a secret plan to get Bin Laden. I would argue that having a plan would be a start. But I'm pretty sure everything has gone insane in Florida...again.

2. State of the Union last night was like watching Back to the Future 2 except nothing awesome about it (hovering skate boards!). Y'know that scene where Marty sees himself while time traveling? Well, the President seemed to repeat himself like it yellow cake uranium except in Iran this time! It was a snooze fest really. There's a reason Ted Kennedy overshadowed him in his endorsement of Obama. Its a bad product at the State of the Union. But I did see something UTTERLY CREEPY! DID CHRIS SHAYS REALLY KISS PRESIDENT BUSH ON THE CHEEK!? How odd is that? Chris Shays had a tough time getting reelected and I don't think kissing the President helps things.

3. The countdown is on! When will Rudy Giuliani drop out? I'm going drinking the night he does. It looks like he isn't going to win Florida. He gave signed baseballs to media people...kinda pathetic kinda like a farewell. He is the candidate I despise the most though Romney is close. The night he drops out I'll probably go to the Red Derby.

4. Mike Wallace had triple bypass surgery recently. I hope he recovers well. He's in ridiculous shape for an 89 year old. I mean, I had to look up his age since its impossible to tell since he looked "old" in 1980 and hasn't really changed at all. I still think his son Chris, all dishonor to him because he's brought shame to a glorious name, is still worthless.

5. Kathy Griffin has been banned...again from the View by Barbara Walters. Apparently, she was too mean about her in a stand up. Its remarkable to be banned twice from the View when I thought they'd let anyone on. God knows, they let anyone host.

6. Holy god, I have something in common with Craig Ferguson. We're both US citizens...Brave new world...He's come a...oh wait he's still the same as he was on Drew Carey.

7. Apparently, the Giants won't talk to their former star player, Tiki Barber now that he's a commentator. Perhaps, its because he's a "pillow muncher" (Thanks again Vicky). Or maybe he's a bad team mate for what he did? How about his retirement and then commentary on the team pissed them off? I wouldn't talk to him either.

8. I'm still laughing that Amy Winehouse is in rehab.

9. Okay, confession, I love British culture. I do love French and Italian too. But British humor and pop culture has suited me for awhile. It has taken me way too long to get into Doctor Who. I'm now obsessed with it. I have to love a show whose fans have a saying "real villains don't use stairs, they level buildings." The Dalek creatures until recently couldn't go up stairs but they could kill whole cities. I love it. Its so out there that it says everything. The series is almost 50 years old and still odd and awesome. Here is what a Dalek looks like.

10. I saw Rambo...yes you heard me. I saw it with people who got it too. See Rambo takes a certain state of mind. Some call it crazy. I call it normal. Rambo isn't supposed to be rational. It isn't supposed to be all that serious in its violence. I learned that a bow and arrow works pretty well in the movie. I also learned that I'm not going to South East Asia anytime soon but I knew that already. Rambo is fun violent. Its so overthetop roided out Sylvester Stallone. He cowrote,produced, and directed the picture so of course the cute innocent blonde is into him.

11. I saw Across the Universe too. I'm a very big Beatles fan. I'm not my brother's level...no one is. But I do love the Beatles. Across the Universe is one long Beatles music video that I'm still trying to figure out. Its the plots of songs put into a movie and shot very nicely.

No comments: