Monday, December 17, 2007

Filibuster! or how I learned to love I am Fresh Prince of Bel-Air

Today, the Senate will be debating the FISA Bill and one of my favorite events in politics, I'm hearing will take place, the filibuster. Republicans have been threatening to do filibusters without having to do them and I hate them for it. I also hate that my party doesn't want them to filibuster. The very threat of a filibuster somehow wins. Remember that Republicans during the last congress wanted to destroy the filibuster because they do love one party rule. The filibuster is a fantastic thing to watch but it takes willpower. I'm convinced that the Republican senators are mostly idiots anyway. I like very few outside of Hagel, maybe McCain if I'm not feeling alright, and a sporadic group. So I can't expect them to be the filibustering kind. But y'know who is? Chris Dodd does. I'm not a supporter of his presidential campaign. I mean, I enjoy him running because he's damn smart but I don't see him as a viable candidate. He's going to filibuster today because we cannot give immunity to telecom companies for their acceptance of illegal behavior. There's a moral idea that accepting an illegal order makes your activity illegal as well and you should be punished. The President began this program before 9/11 so take that 9/11 changed everything crowd. So rock on, Chris Dodd. Rock on and read things like Ulysses, the Constitution because they need a brush up, I want a huge filibuster. I want it to go for as long as necessary and when Chris Dodd gets tired, someone needs to step up. I'm hoping its one of my state's people, Durbin or Obama. Both are great in my eyes. Now onto the list.

1. Came across this interesting article by a David Frum...yup he's a Bushie, welcome to reality.
I happen to enjoy this part.
"And yet it also has to be admitted: Many of us on the conservative side have fed this monster. (Rightly) aghast at the abuse of expertise by liberal judges, liberal bureaucrats and liberal academics, we have sometimes over-reacted by denying the importance of expertise altogether.
'Heart' is crucial," one of George W. Bush's early evangelical supporters argued in a 2005 newspaper column. This same writer accused those conservatives who questioned Bush's "faith-based initiative" of having "holes in their souls."

So now instead of holes in our souls, we conservatives are getting candidates with holes in their heads."

2. Mitt Romney annoys me but amuses me in a sardonic way of course. You see, Mitt Romney is the most insincere person running for office right now. Its true. He'll say anything to get a vote even if they have video evidence indicating his beliefs otherwise. He's like people you know who will agree with anything you say just so they can avoid the possibility that they might have an opposing view point that would cause you not to like them. You could say I'm pro eating babies and posting the skeleton on an upsides down cross and seeing if it'll work as a pogostick. And they'd agree with you and support you in your baby eating, unholy, pogostick worshiping ass. Mitt Romney is a pandering moron who now has to correct himself all the time because when you run for president, you're on video a lot and you say things a lot. When you say, "freedom requires religion," those charming atheists and people with common sense (not excluding atheists from common sense but including people do believe in Got and have common sense) that believe in the freedom of religion or freedom to not have religion depending on your philosophy will take note. Mitt Romney, being a member of a very "interesting" and unorthodox religion known as Mormonism (a church known for its rather crazy members with messianic complexes (I mean who doesn't have one) and its qualities to restrain women in an extreme and somewhat amusing contradictory way), claims that you cannot be free without religion. There are problems. He's trying to claim he was invoking John Adams...that's funny...I'm pretty sure people who aren't free have religion. I'm curious to see how much he's read of the founders of the United States.

3. Hmmm...I'm not quite done hating Mitt Romney. I'm a bit emotionally frozen. Its a quirk. I don't cry and I definitely don't buy into politicians (that includes those televangelists) who cry. Mitt Romney began to cry on Meet the Press when talking about when Mormons allowed black people into their church's hierarchy...How quaint, the same week that he gets railed on the idea that his church is fairly racist he decides to get weepy on TV. I don't buy it. I find it amusing that many Romney supporters love to criticize Hillary Clinton on being a political opportunist. Hello pot, meet kettle. Why don't you cry over that? Are you for pots meeting kettles? I'm pretty sure you can find Romney probably was on both sides at different times. He'll cry about that too...

4. CREW has posted their top 10 ethics scandals of 2007

No new enforcement mechanisms for congressional ethics;

Ted Stevens still sitting on Senate Appropriations;

Senate Ethics Committee looking into Sen. Craig, but not Sen. Vitter;

Millions of missing White House emails still unaccounted for;

Rep. Murtha’s abuse of the earmarking process remains unchecked;

Lurita Doan remains chief of GSA despite illegal conduct;

White House covering up its role in the firings of the U.S. Attorneys;

No Child Left Behind funds directed to Bush fundraisers who provide inadequate reading materials for kids;

Court decision regarding search of Jefferson’s office limits ability of DOJ to investigate other corrupt lawmakers; and

FEMA knowingly let Katrina victims live in hazardous trailers


I agree with all of them regardless is party.

5. I cannot stand Michael Wiener Savage. I find him to be an awful creature that when he couldn't get a job, he turned into a racist, homophobic, vitriolic, douchebag with a microphone. I'm glad he's losing ad revenue.

6. Tony Romo has really hot Jessica Simpson to go home to + Tony Romo has really hot Jessica Simpson come to game and he has worst game of career against eternal rivals, Eagles - I'm still taking that plus but man, if she has cursed you, as you get crappier, I'm not sure her dad will let you date her.

7. How is it that Britney Spears even has a case anymore? I mean we've reached a new weirdness level where its not just that most of us side with K-Fed now, its that its decisive. How is it she never shows up to court and they keep it going?

8. Amy Winehouse is determined to sing at the Grammy's....yeah we'll see. She also was determined to do the next Bond theme....and that's a nope now.

9. Congrats, Miami, your Dolphins are still terrible but you're not the shutout season.

10. Review time! Normally, nicknames should be shorter than the actual name but in this case, this nick name has legendary status and has to keep going. I am Legend aka I am Fresh Prince of Bel-Air is the name of choice for the movie. IAFPBA as the kids call it is an enjoyable movie even if Will Smith is alone with his dog for most of it with interwoven flashbacks. Boy, do you get attached to that dog too. Sam, the dog, is the best actress in it. The funniest in theatre moment of the movie is the announcement that the Cubs are a World Series team just as the world ends...So I was kinda happy we made it as Scott just mocked me. I didn't like the CGI in the movie actually. The infected people just didn't look right to me. They looked like the Mummy creatures in the Mummy movies that had Brendan Frasier and that movie was made quite awhile ago for the tech to look that way. Otherwise, I enjoyed the movie. Good disaster movies make fun times. The survival aspect is really interesting. It reinforced that I'm a dead man at the end of the world...which I'm okay with realizing. Go see it.

11. I also watched the Kingdom last night. It had Jamie Foxx and tells us that the Saudi Arabia nation has lots of problems and they don't like Americans. I've read reviews that said the movie was xenophobic and racist. Well, there are people in Saudi Arabia that do want to kill Americans and Westerners in general. Let's recall the 9/11 hijackers were mostly Saudi, Bin Laden is a Saudi prince, and that Wahhabism (a fanatical element of Islam) is awfully strong in Saudi Arabia so I won't fault the movie on that. I thought highly of the movie actually. Its not every day that you see a car chase in Riyadh. I also disagree with the xenophobia accusation. I actually think it presented characters well. My favorite character in the movie was the Saudi captain working with the team team. They show his family life really well and its an aspect that we don't see often in movies. Jeremy Piven has a small spot...who knew, he's a dick there too. Ari in Saudi Arabia is just Ari with big words. The last half hour is pretty good action. I'll buy the DVD when it comes out because I enjoyed it and I'm fascinated with the Middle East.

No comments: