I was thinking about this recently.
"Liberals got women the right to vote. Liberals got African-Americans the right to vote. Liberals created Social Security and lifted millions of elderly people out of poverty. Liberals ended segregation. Liberals passed the Civil Rights Act, the Voting Rights Act. Liberals created Medicare. Liberals passed the Clean Air Act, the Clean Water Act. What did Conservatives do? They opposed them on every one of those things...every one! So when you try to hurl that label at my feet, 'Liberal,' as if it were something to be ashamed of, something dirty, something to run away from, it won't work, Senator, because I will pick up that label and I will wear it as a badge of honor." -- Matt Santos, The West Wing
Its a quote from one of my favorite shows and its a quote that I actually believe. Onto the list.
1. In case you can't tell the top word, its Fiscal. So there's irony, he's neither fiscally responsible nor does he take responsibility for anything. President Bush is back to doing soft ball town halls. Currently, he only polls better than Paris Hilton.
2. Rudy Giuliani has hit Obama with the cliched "You're no Ronald Reagan" bit. Really, I mean really? Rudy, you're no Lloyd Bentson. Now you may be wondering who he is? I know it happens, I make obscure references. But Lloyd Bentson's gift to politics was the phrase "Senator, you're no Jack Kennedy." He said this in response to Dan Quayle comparing himself to John Kennedy in the 1988 Vice Presidential Debate. The whole quote is "Senator, I served with Jack Kennedy: I knew Jack Kennedy; Jack Kennedy was a friend of mine. Senator, you're no Jack Kennedy." Rudy, are you ready to be Michael Dukakis?
3. Speaking of Barack Obama, he's apparently related to Dick Cheney. They're 8th cousins. How weird is that? Its really complex but apparently true. If I'd found that out, I'd probably shower a lot maybe even as much as one of my room mates does. Somehow that'll help.
4. This SCHIP war going on in Congress and the media really does keep going for amazing reasons. Its bipartisan on an unusual way. The President is the usual stubborn bastard he is. His water carriers in the right wing media are crazy as ever. The Democrats put forth human examples on why the SCHIP is good program. Providing healthcare to children is a great program that Republicans and Democrats agree on but the far right has sought to destroy any human face. Some argue that its fair game when you put children out there or whoever. That isn't true if you spread lies about them. Spreading lies on this 12 year old's family and now a two year old's family is remarkably cruel. One of Malkin's people wanted a public hanging of the 12 year old and his whole family...I'm glad these right wingers were all about this for Terri Schaivo...oh wait they weren't. But the reason that the President hates this program and his water carriers hate this, it shows that some government programs work. He'd rather send 200 Billion over to Iraq than help children here.
PS. Mitch McConnell's office started the spread of lies about these families. Your tax dollars paid for him to put a political hit job with his Communications Director Don Stewart.
PPS. Mitch McConnell has now lied about his office's involvement. Its hard when lots of people have your Com Director's email.
5. Has anyone seen this video of Trent Wisecup, Chief of Staff of Michigan Republican Congressman Joe Knollenberg? He goes crazy on this annoying blogger (not me) calling him unAmerican and things like that. I'll post the video tonight. Its kinda amusing his list of things that he declares unAmerican. HUAC! Anyway, Rachel Maddow had a great commentary on Countdown last night on it which will be posted with the video. Great job Trent, you just put an obscure Michigan Congressman on the map for reasons you probably shouldn't.
PS. Rachel Maddow is really awesome.
6. Ellen Degeneres broke down on her show yesterday. It was particularly odd. I mean, here's the story from what I can tell. She adopted a dog from an animal shelter. The dog didn't get along with her cats...that American Express or Visa commercial totally not true. Anyway, she gave the dog to the daughter of her hair dresser. Animal shelter goes crazy crusade on her because they don't allow that apparently. They seize the dog back and make little girl cry and then Ellen cry on TV. They also threaten to go to the media for whatever reasons. Fun huh? Gosh I remember the day that animal shelters just wanted pets to have a happy home.
7. Okay, I'm confused to when I should have thought the Olsen Twins were hot? I missed that somehow. But I feel I need to give this one a cheese burger and maybe a few dollars. Turn that frown upside down!
8. Apparently, LiLo is loose again and drinking because of her sobering experience. That's quaint. I also hear she's dangerously low on funds due to legal fees, three time really expensive rehab fees, and that she hasn't made a money making movie in awhile. Life's a bitch. Oh she's apparently dating someone who is already engaged...that's commitment.
9. Francis Ford Coppola has lashed out at DeNiro, Pacino, and Nicholson for essentially being lazy and decadent. Yeah, you're the guy who was lazy enough to cast his own daughter in Godfather 3. Oh wait, what's the last thing you did? I can't remember, oh that's right you manage hotels you own in Latin America and bankroll your daughter's films (most are actually pretty good). Coppola make a good movie with unknown actors again then make that claim.
10. Unfitney has been booked, finger printed, and photographed for a hit and run she did back in August. It helps the ever so responsible Paparazzi were filming the incident. Thank you for watching out for us.
11. An extra to the list today, George Lucas is in the process of making another Star Wars thing for TV. I'd really like for him to finish the first one before starting this one. Better yet, finish the new Indiana Jones movie. This new Star Wars venture is about minor characters....well that narrows the audience.